Thursday, November 09, 2006

yarn questions . . .

As I am sitting here drinking my morning coffee - I figured it was a good time to post!

Right now I am working on mostly small projects as Christmas gifts. I am almost done with the second of many sets of knucks, a twisted rib hat by Ann Norling (again, one of several), a ribbed watch cap, an Ombre blanket from Last Minute Knitted Gifts for my MIL, and kinda shelved but I do sneak back to it from time to time is Hush, Hush from Knitty for me. At least I don't get bored, there is always something that I want to work on!

The yarn that I am coveting, hmmm, there a couple. Any of the Blue Sky Alpaca 100% alpaca yarns, especially in the melange colors. They are so soft! easy to work with, and with the exception of gloves, it works well for everything! And everyone that I have give a piece to, loves to wear it. Then there is the sock yarns from Interlacements, both toasty toes and tiny toes knit so nicely, the colors are beautiful - yum! Then on the not practical side, there is some beautiful silk, camel and yak on the Artspun website that I am coveting even though I am not sure what I will do with it, dreams . . .

My favorite yarns are the Blue Sky Alpaca 100% alpaca yarns and Lornas Laces Shepard Worsted and Shepard Sock yarns. It seems like after everything else that I use and try, I always come back to these.

My favorite yarn store is a little bit of a tough question. There is a LYS that I shop at quite a bit that is close to my work. They have beautiful high end yarn; Rowan, Blue Sky, Noro, ect. The problem is that they never have anything in stock. I can buy enough yarn to make a hat or scarf but not enough for any larger projects, and she doesn't keep her Addi needles stocked - frustrating! So I end up shopping online (faster) or have her order stuff in. There are two yarn stores in Seattle, where my family is, that I love. And they both carry alot of earth friendly, community supporting, yarns that make a difference. Maybe one day, I will open a shop like that in Denver . . .

Now, I am done with my coffee, and off to work. Thinking of my contest entry . . .
Have a good week!

No comments: